Friday, November 16, 2007

Congratulations to Captain O'Donnell!

I was flying back home from San Francisco this week on the ungodly early United flight from SFO to JFK. I was pretty groggy getting on the plane, but not so groggy that I didn't notice the balloons and decorations festooning the 757. Before we took off, the purser informed us that this was Captain Lynn O'Donnell's last flight with United Airlines - she was retiring after 16 years with United and more than 30 years flying commercial airplanes. I got to thinking this must be quite some lady - what a pioneer in breaking the gender barrier in what must have been an incredibly testosterone-drenched environment! It was a gorgeous day to fly, clear sailing across the country. I often listen to the air traffic control channel - don't ask my why, but I find the calm voices soothing and every once in awhile you hear something funny or interesting, although its always professional, never personal. This time, we heard, "Is that Captain O'Donnell? Congratulations, Lynn, have a great retirement! Want me to send you around again so you get a little more time up there? Let's get together for coffee...."

Here's a nice story from the Morris County Daily Record, about Morristown airport where Lynn keeps her own antique plane, that talks a bit about her history of flying, including her first transatlantic crossing in a 4-seater, single engine Piper Cherokee!

Thanks, Captain O'Donnell, for a wonderful flight - wishing you many more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home