Monday, April 30, 2007

April's Knitting Projects


Someday I might have to start a blog just for knitting, but not today! I finished a couple projects in April. First, I've been working on a perfect gift for Steve - biotech entrepreneur extraordinaire, always elegant in pin-stripes and always, always a pink shirt or tie or pocket square (or all three!). So what to knit for the man who has everything? Yes, at last I got the opportunity to knit the DNA scarf that Michael Hehenberger turned me on to years ago. Yup, I've been meaning to get around to that one! So perfect - I knit it for Steve in pink silk/alpaca DK weight yarn from Valley Yarns. What a beautiful feel to that yarn, so soft but shows off the cables quite nicely, I think. Here it is - after I finished it I thought of two other people who deserve this scarf as well! I love how the double helix has bars across in garter stitch that represent the base pairs. Thanks to June Oshiro for the great pattern!

Next, another pair of socks, these for Hayden to say thanks for all his help. I found the self-striping superwash wool yarn for this in my favorite yarn store in Chardon (the ONLY yarn store in Chardon), Knitting on the Square. Decided the pattern would come out best if I just knit stockinette stitch, so nothing fancy - but I liked the contrasting blue heel, which came out very soft and cushiony.

And last, but not least - and also not finished, is the baby blanket I'm making for my almost-born new grandson. When I'm knitting for someone it helps me to think of them while I'm knitting - I feel it puts a lot of good karma into the garment for the recipient. But how to think about this unborn, as yet un-named young man? Michael suggested they name him Vincent, as he thinks it would be humorous to have a nephew named 'Vinnie Valentine'. Especially since he'll be from New Jersey. Anyway, young Vinnie is getting a slate blue blanket of Lion CottonEase, with a nice pattern that is sort of open-work leaves. I'm liking the pattern a lot, so much that I just decided the heck with other stitches, we'll make it mostly these leaves - here's the work in progress. Don't you love the nice undulating pattern - its very textural. Anyway, if Vinnie doesn't show up on his own before then, we are expecting him this Thursday, early afternoon. David and Claire are incredibly organized!






2 Comments:

Blogger Idgie said...

Hey, I want some socks, will you make me some socks?

4:19 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yes, Elizabeth, i will make you socks - what color do you like? Lace or cables?

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home