Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Harriet Knirsch

I want to take a minute to pay tribute to a wonderful and gracious lady and the mother of my friend Karen Knirsch, who passed away last week after a long illness. I met Harriet Knirsch when Karen and I were students at Oberlin together. What a treat it was for a kid from the small town of Chardon, Ohio to visit the BIG APPLE!! Harriet and Benno lived just across the Hudson from that magical city, in the town of West New York, New Jersey - an easy bus ride into New York. So many times I was welcomed into their home as Karen's friend - Harriet was as gentle as Benno could be gruff. She often surprised us with tickets to hear music and see the ballet, knowing Karen's musical talent and preferences. In a family of effusive, boundless energy, Harriet always seemed the quiet center. I will always remember her kindness and grace. My deepest sympathies to Karen, sister Susan and brother-in-law Dave.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wrote a comment but somehow it didn't get posted...so let me try again! I thought Carol's post was a lovely tribute to a lovely lady. I have very fond memories of the sweet, kind, and gentle woman that was Harriet Knirsch. I was also very moved by how loving, caring, and supportive of her Susan, Dave, and Karen were in her final years. She was very fortunate to have had such a devoted family!

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home